Ohio Medical Marijuana License Applications
About the Ohio Medical Marijuana Program
Ohio became the 25th state to adopt a medical marijuana law. Established on September 8, 2016, House Bill 523 will allow seriously ill patients to use and purchase medical cannabis that will be cultivated and processed in-state.
Ohio’s qualifying medical conditions include Cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, CTE, Epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, PTSD, Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and several other chronic conditions or injuries.
There will be Ohio cannabis licenses awarded for cultivation, processing, dispensing and laboratories in Ohio. For the most up to date information on Ohio rules and regulations visit the medical marijuana rules & regulations page on Ohio.gov
Looking to get involved with Ohio medical marijuana industry or start a cannabis business of your own? Canna Advisors has a team of dedicated cannabis consultants available to help you throughout the entire process. From cultivation and grow laws to facility design and investment, we’ll be your ongoing partner dedicated to securing a cannabis business application license in Ohio.
How to Start a Medical Marijuana Business in Ohio
Ohio promises to be an extremely robust and competitive market. In order to secure an Ohio medical marijuana license, it is best to get started immediately. Here are the items that will require research and planning, in order to assemble and submit a competitive application in Ohio:
- Team: The talent you engage for your organization will be an important component regulators will consider as they review your application.
- Capitalization: In order for a Medical Cannabis business to succeed, your business must have access to a significant amount of funding. It is a common misconception that cannabis businesses will generate enough revenue at inception to negate the need for substantial funding.
- Organization: In addition to intensive scrutiny of team members and financing, regulators will look to license cannabis businesses who submit well-structured applications, which include: comprehensive business plans, detailed organization charts, compliant facility design, built-out security plans, sophisticated financial models in addition to other specialized information about your business.
The Ohio Board of Pharmacy, Medical Board of Ohio, and Ohio Department of Commerce have pooled resources into a resource site for medical cannabis in Ohio. Fore more information, refer to the Medical Marijuana Control Program website.
May 6, 2017
- Cultivator rules adopted.
September 8, 2017
- Processor rules adopted.
- Testing laboratory rules adopted.
- Dispensary rules adopted.
- Patient/caregiver rules adopted.
- Physician certificate to recommend rules adopted.
- Ohio Medical Marijuana Program adopted.
- Ohio rule adoption and program implementation may occur earlier than the dates specified in this timeline.